5View™ Service Data Manager
A Platform for Application Performance Management and Service Usage Analysis
To adequately support today’s business operations, a company’s critical applications and services must operate at peak performance from the data center to the end-user over the converged IP network. Satisfactory performance and reliability requires that these applications—and all of the components that deliver them—work properly all the time. To that end, monitoring network performance alone is no longer sufficient. Service providers and enterprises must focus on building “application awareness” into their service offerings and performance management practices. This entails visibility into service utilization (down to the application or end-user level), an understanding of quality from the end-user experience perspective, and clear insight into the interdependencies and traffic between application components in today’s complex, multi-tiered, and virtualized data centers.
However, in providing such visibility, providers face the challenge of collecting, managing, and presenting complex and varied service usage data—that is, the data related to the communication between a source and destination for any IP-based exchange. The level of difficulty, cost and time associated with this endeavor are all influenced by some important requirements and considerations that must be addressed, including:
- The need to manage and monitor multiple business services on the shared network—in an efficient and unified manner
- A scalable and cost-effective method of collecting many types of service data records from multiple enterprise customers
- A way to easily manage the segmentation of data by customer or business unit and provide accurate service/application monitoring and reporting
- A way to process the massive amounts of data without losing the details or sacrificing performance
- The ability to support proprietary data record formats from various equipment vendors and standards bodies (e.g., ITU, IEEE and IETF)
Providers that use limiting or multiple tools to manage the different kinds of service usage data may lack visibility into the customer experience data details once the usage data is aggregated. It can also be costly and inefficient for them to deploy probes for every single customer, and manually intensive for them to manage these multiple deployments.
5View™ Service Data Manager offers the robust, carrier-class application performance management platform and feature set needed to provide service providers and large enterprises with real-time visibility and analysis for a variety of service usage data types. Service Data Manager takes the large volumes of data collected by various sources, such as the multi-tenant 5View™ NetFlow SP appliance or the 5View™ Applications appliance, and processes, aggregates, stores and then presents the customer-specific data on a common platform. The detailed application traffic service quality and performance statistics offered by Service Data Manager’s various options such as 5View™ Application Usage Manager and Application Response Manager, furnish network and IT operations teams with information crucial for troubleshooting, service/application usage analysis, traffic engineering, capacity planning, and ensuring quality of service and quality of experience.
- A cost-effective solution for handling any kind of service usage data in large-scale deployments
- Reduced cost of deployment and ownership due to its multi-tenant software architecture and support of multi-tenant appliances, allowing for efficient and cost-effective collection, segregation, and processing of service data from multiple customers
- Faster application-centric troubleshooting thanks to a powerful central manager for transactional service usage data, which collects, aggregates and enables detailed visibility into these service data records
- Support of Cisco’s Application Visibility and Control (AVC) delivering combined usage and performance reporting
- The detailed and multidimensional analysis of application usage data that service providers and enterprises need for effective service performance monitoring in hierarchical business environments (for example, by line of business, by site, by application or application type, by call or user)
- Business-driven capacity planning and problem identification, which enable service providers and their enterprise customers to prioritize and resolve the most critical application performance issues
- The versatility to efficiently monitor a variety of business and mobile services—through a single, shared software platform, offering navigation and visibility into the user experience and application level key performance indicators of those services
- A unified approach to network and application performance management through its interoperability with InfoVista’s VistaInsight® for Networks and market-specific Knowledge Packs
5View™ Service Data Manager’s support of a fully multi-tenant architecture (software and appliances) reduces the complexity and cost to launch and commercially manage a variety of services, such as application-aware VPNs, hosted unified communications, and mobile data services. It provides:
- A common platform for InfoVista’s application performance monitoring and service usage analysis solutions, including 5View™ Application Usage Manager and Application Response Manager, enabling efficient monitoring of multiple services with a single tool
- Carrier-grade scalability, which means that Service Data Manager can pull, segregate, aggregate, analyze and store service usage information and xDRs (IP detail records and call data records) from a variety of sources, including multi-tenant data collection appliances and software modules, bringing economies of scale and cost savings to communications service providers.
- A high-performance, patent-pending data processing engine for handling the large amounts of service usage and user experience data that must be segmented and reported by the enterprise customer
- A flexible reporting definition environment that enables the service provider to meet various customer reporting requirements
- Software-based, central management capabilities, which enable “zero touch” configuration of individual appliances
- A presentation layer for the predefined out-of-the-box reports and views that Service Data Manager’s various options provide, offering visibility into the key performance indicators measuring application usage, performance, and user experience
- Compatibility and a common platform with VistaInsight® for Networks, which optionally provides a consistent presentation layer for network performance management and application performance management reports and exceptions and ensures configuration data consistency and integrity through a common inventory